Saturday, May 9, 2009

Greetings from Tent #48 Bunk 40


I had one of those "What the heck have I done?" moments today. I'm finally in Qatar awaiting my bag that didn't make it here from Dubai. Anyway, I checked into billeting and when the gentleman had taken my information, he said, "You're all taken care of. You'll be in Tent #48 Bunk 40." At first it didn't quite stick, but when the driver got me to my tent, it was an instantaneous, "What the heck have I done?" I'm staying in a quonset type tent that has 50 or so bunks in it. Not fancy bunks, mind you, but bunks constructed out of 4 x 4 lumber. So, here sits the Old Sailor, in the desert, sleeping in a tent. You know, I've been on 4 different Aircraft Carriers, and I've slept in lots of crowded berthing spaces, so this isn't so bad I guess. The mattress is bigger and the air conditioning works better, so I shouldn't complain.

My trip over here wasn't so bad. Long. But not so bad. The only hitch was the fact that my only large piece of luggage is still in Dubai. Hopefully in the morning I'll find out that they have it here. Without that, I have what I'm wearing and some personal effects and that's it. I had to go to the BX to buy a towel, some soap and a razor. Oh, and don't forget the power plug adapter so that I can use my computer.

I've been to the desert before, but it shocks me every time. The landscape is so stark, and there is nothing here but sand, rocks and people. The camp here looks like some surreal stonehenge that juts out of the lunar surface they call Quatar. No trees, no weeds, no shrubs. Only sand, rocks, and a military camp. They do their best to take care of everyone. There is a BX to shop in, and tons of junk food. You name the chain, and they have a trailer here selling food. I ate at the dining facility today. Dining facility. That's funny. I called it a galley and I was quickly corrected by an Air Force member. Whatever. The GALLEY is really good. Today was gyro day. I had a nice salad and a self made gyro and I was pretty happy. I had also forgotten how fast the desert can suck the moisture out of you. Water is a constant need, and they have it going on here. Every building has a bottled water cooler, so no matter where you are you are within feet of a cold drink. I think I have had 10 or so since arriving here this moring. Just walking from my tent to the bathroom requires a water stop. As I speak they are moving another cooler into the internet lounge. There is a pool, several gyms, you name it and they have put it out here in the camp. It's kind of an amazing thing really. All of this is built to make our lives better and it's run by civilians who live out here just to manage the facilities. It astounds me that there are civilians who would live in this type of envronment just to support the camp. Sacrifice runs deep here. It makes the Old Sailor proud to be part of it.

1 comment:

rediahn said...

Good morning Bunk #40! Sounds like you're keeping a positive attitude. That's wonderful. I'd be working out every possible moment and getting ripped and shredded! lol

I can't believe that restaurant chain food is there. Amazing!

Hang in there, kid!

Going to Elton John/Billy Joel concert in Nashville Saturday with Henry's boss' family and girlfriends of Hank and Jake.

Dad and Mom arrive next THU for Luc's graduation. Luc's Senior awards are night.

Tues. night Jake received the Flying Eagle Principal Award for the entire Freshman class! Very proud. This award was voted on by the faculty. It was a big surprise.

Well, it's raining AGAIN and in another week long pattern. The Midwest get's severe storms and then it moves over LA, AL, TN, and NC and just sits there. Many tornado touchdowns last night in Midwest. TN is beginning to look like WA state.

Luv ya,

Re